Sunday, August 14, 2011

guest post: whitney.

hello lovelies. me, myself, and i are quite busy soaking up life right now,
so i've got a guest post from dear whitney for your enjoyment!
leave some comment love--she's a dear:)
Shabby Chic Me
Hi there!
I'm Whitney, from According To Waddlebug and I'm so honored to be writing a guest post and for you to be reading it.

I'm a lover of all things old. Vintage. Shabby. Chic. Antiques. Even dead, dried flowers! My love affair with such things started when I bought my first quilt from an antique store at the young age of 13. I saw it, instantly fell in love with it, and had to have it. It was not in perfect shape, but then things of old never are, are they? That's what makes them so charming. I saved my money and bought it. And instantly put it on my bed. What other 13 year old girls do you know that are buying old quilts from antique shops in small towns? (Okay, so maybe you know one or two but I didn't!) I continued in my journey of shabby chic-ness by decorating my room with dried flowers, each contained a special memory, and they still do, cause they're still around at my house! I have collected many things since my quilt-chairs, books, dishes, etc. Most recently, I have been blessed to look through and get items from my Grandmother's house. I can't wait to see what all I have, and decorate my house with it! I have no need to go to Ikea or Anthropologie for things to decorate my home with-I have things of old!

One of my most prized shabby chic items is my AWESOME green corner chair. I used to manage a consignment boutique and one of the houses in the area had been cleared out, and this LIME green corner chair had been put out on the curb. It looked to be made out of a corduroy type material. It was not in the best condition. I eyed it and eyed it and eyed it, and one week went by, then two, then it rained, and I finally decided I HAD to have it. So my best friend and I, one early morning, got into my tiny mustang, grabbed some coffee, and went and loaded the awesome chair (in designer jeans, no less!) in the trunk of the mustang. Thankfully it was a sunny day and it allowed the chair to dry out. And in my garage it went. I wanted to get it recovered, but I had no idea how to do that. Fast forward 2 years and I'm pregnant and my awesome, talented Mother-in-law recovers it for my son's nursery!

I love this chair. It's unique. I've never ever seen anything quite like it! It holds a special place in my heart!

I'm going to continue keeping my eyes peeled at antique malls and on the curb. You never know when one person's trash may become your treasure!

1 comment:

angie on maui said...

What a fun guest post! I had to visit Whitney's blog - I think it's adorable that her love for vintage began at 13!

And now I want a corner chair. :)

Hope you're having a beautiful week, Beka! xo